Thursday, November 14, 2013

Liberal Chrisitan????

What exactly is a liberal christian?  Josh has decided to comment on someones facebook page who wrote this. He is trying to figure out what a liberal christian is.  For us when you say liberal our  first thoughts go to someone who has no problem with gay marriage, abortion, letting the government take all our hard earned money and giving it to someone who doesn't want to work and wants handouts.Who thinks that everyone should be entitled to exactly the same thing on all accounts.
Where does Christianity fall into this view.  Maybe they really don't know what they are talking about but he has decided since they put it out there on facebook that he can debate this with them.  I looked up what the definition of liberal is "open to new behavior or opinions & willing to discard traditional values, not limited to authoritarian attitudes or views".  I am open to new opinions and sometimes even willing to change my stance on somethings, but my first rule is I have to see what the Bible says about it first.  The Bible is real specific on alot of things, feed the poor (that does not mean hand outs to everyone) in Proverbs it says many times if you don't work you do not  eat. Take care of widows and orphans, where the church has failed is that we have sat by and let the government take care of this instead of us. Love your neighbor as yourself, I like to think of people as my family, if I see them going down a destruction path I try to help, but today, most liberals do not want the help from Christians, they want us to mind our own business and let people do whatever makes them feel good.
Once again as I tell my children, Gods first concern is not whether you are happy or not, his first concern is if you are obedient to his Word. So whether I am closed minded or not by the definition of a liberal, my first and only concern as a christian is whether I am being obedient to Gods Word.

1 comment: