Thursday, August 8, 2013

CS Lewis

One of our greatest allies at present is the Church itself...As for the patient when he gets to his pew and looks around he sees just the selection of his neighbors whom he has avoided.  You want to lean pretty heavily on those neighbors. Make his mind flit to and from between an expression like "the body of Christ" and the actual faces in the next pew. It matters very little of course what kind of people that next pew really contains.They could be a great warrior for Christ, no matter, you see he has a idea of "Christian" in his mind which is suppose to be spiritual but which, in fact, is largely pictorial.  Just keep everything hazy in his mind, work hard on disappointment, or anticlimax of what he thinks church is. But also remember, there in lies the danger.  If once they get through this dryness successfully, they become much less dependent on emotion and much harder to tempt....
I took this from the book "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis written in 1942, seventy-one years ago and today the same thing is still happening.  Why do you follow Christ? Do you go to church because it was "how you were raised".  Do you think it will get you into heaven or extra jewels or crowns.  Satan is alive and strong, he knows his time is ending.  I disciple a young woman who became a Christian a little over a year ago.  I told her last week, your relationship with God is your responsibility, no one elses. I have heard, till I am sick of hearing, "I am not going to church this week, nobody will miss me anyway, I haven't heard from the pastor about my family member who was sick, So and so hurt my feelings so I will just change churches. I don't like the way that person talked to my child, so I will drop out of teaching children's church"  Nephew Wormwood and Uncle Screwtape would be proud...

1 comment:

  1. Preach it, sister......Church isn't about me...it is about worship. worshipping God and Him alone.

    ReplyDelete