Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Little House on the Mountain Style

Thank goodness, and I mean thank goodness, I am so glad we left Friday afternoon to go to the mountains instead of waiting till after work.  We got about 15" of snow up in them there hills.  Also we got a pile of mess....I have gone back to old country talking after having to cook over a kerosene heater, no heat or running water because of no electricity, our water runs on a electric pump. I will post pictures later of the beauty and destruction snow can be.  We had limbs and trees down everywhere, kind of like a snow hurricane. The driveway to the house was completely gone, our tractor broken down that was taking us up to the house, since we could not drive the truck up there, so I walked with luggage and slick boots, not a good combination. As of today, my back is out (honestly) I think I over worked it this weekend and got a massage and it put it the rest of the way out.  As I sit here and cringe in pain sitting at my desk, flat or standing is better, walking so so...But it brings me back to I am so spoiled....I am use to air, heat, dish washer, hot water on demand, air conditioning, bathing on demand, using the toilet on demand.  I know God had blessed me to live in this day and time, I live what I call "Little House on the Prarieing It"  but I don't want to.....Joey and I started picking up and cutting limbs and trees  early Saturday morning, there was actually about 13" inches of snow to trudge through with the debris. Then I needed to try and cook us something to eat, we did not get supper the night before because I didn't know there would be no power and I had brought something to cook up there, so we went to bed without dinner.  I take for grant having running water on demand, so I finally came up with a meal, cream corn, warmed pork n beans, and Terriakki (?) chicken and onions, I had a outdoor grill that has a burner, so I fixed one pot at a time and put the Pots stacked on each other on top of the kerosene heater to keep warm till all the dishes were done, Cleaned out and pack up refrigerator and freezer.Then I had to heat water to wash and  water to rinse, no wonder the families in the olden days didn't get alot accomplished. Then we melted snow to put in toilets so that they would flush (I know too much info).  Finally, Joey was wore out and decided that the trees and brush around the house was all we were cleaning up, he did not want to stay another night and have to play Chinese checkers and up-words  with me again by candlelight. We drained all the water out of the house because they did not know when we would have power again and the temperatures were to be in the teens up there for a few days. One again I would like to thank my dear heavenly fathers for creating me on this time and this place. Maw Ingells I am not...AMEN

1 comment:

  1. Lord-ah-mercy...Me either. I am so not a pioneer. I like the luxury of all that stuff and more if I can get it. Call me spoiled rotten!!

    ReplyDelete