Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rest

What is rest? The definition goes like this: to cease work or activity, to sleep, to find relief or freedom from disturbance, to be at peace, to settle. The verse in Matthew 11:29 says, "Take the yoke (the load) I give you, Put it on your shoulders and learn from me (Christ). I am gentle and humble and I will give you rest. Everyone needs rest, physically spiritually and mentally. If we don't we crash. After leaving Brad's funeral yesterday I realized, he needed to rest. He was always looking after people, caring about people, worrying about people. He and his mind needed rest. We all have a tendency to go, go, go and never slow down. If we stay busy we don't have to think, we don't have to examine ourselves and make changes. God tells us to rest, to stop and think about our lives, what are we wasting time on, what are we doing for the kingdom, are we using our time wisely. I know I waste alot of time on dumb things, I get lazy not rested. I know my mind needs rest from time to time or I start to sink in the pit. I need to rest in what the Word(Jesus) says, to know he is control of all things, if I will let him and not try to fix it myself. I will say that learning to "stay in my garden" has rested me more than you will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment