Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Today's church

Last night I cooked dinner for a couple that goes to our church and a lady who is in her eighties and has moved here and wants to join our church. Joey is her elder so he and Al another elder had to do a brief interview. I laugh at the end and asked her if they decided that she really was saved and could join our church. We had a really nice evening, with it being so hot out I decided to cook light, Cheese Quiche, homemade Banana Bread, brown sugar bacon, and a fruit salad with this concoction I came up with. It was sour cream, powdered sugar and lime juice and zest. It turned out great. I use to get worked up when I fixed dinner for people, worried did I have enough, was I fixing the right stuff, and never did it change the outcome. We always have enjoyed everyone's company, no matter the food. Our college kids have been discussing the purpose of the church and how they think we do it wrong today. In Acts 2 the believers devoted themselves to teaching, fellowship, sharing meals and prayer. They helped those in need and worshipped together regularly. I don't see our church failing in these areas. Sure maybe we having to many orderly services, may be don't always go with the spirit(because it scares us)
maybe there isn't enough singing and to many announcements, but in saying all of this on the day to day I think alot of churches are doing their part, the reason many don't know it is working is because it is done at home, in quiet, away from the self glory, but done for the right reason, as the new testament church started. I think you will see a working, growing, healthy church when you look at the day to day contacts that are made, not just the Sunday morning routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment