Thursday, June 10, 2010

Joseph & Joshua, Men after Gods Heart

I once again have been thinking and wondering. Why did God say that David was a man after his own heart? Did he have to tell us that because of all of David's poor choices, so that we would believe that anyone can find redemption. I have never really thought of David as one of my favorite people of the Bible, I know alot like him, they can see themselves in his life. I thought that Joshua or Joseph, were men of character, they tried to make the right choices in their lives. I always thought that is why God didn't have to tell us in his word that they were men after God's heart because you could see it in their day to day walk. What is funny though, I get mad that people use David as this person to look up to, when I see a man of many failures and think why not look up to Joshua or Joseph, strive to make good choices so that you don't have to learn from failure. For sure these men did not have a gravy of a life, like King David, Joseph stayed in prison for something that he didn't even do, but he still made wise choices when the time came. Joshua was always looking at the positive side of life, when him and Caleb were scouting out their enemies Joshua knew that God would provide. But neither of them wrote songs to God like David did. Even though he is not one of my favorites in the Bible I do have a tendency to go to his songs and meditate on them and make them my own in hard times. I paraphrased this for me the other week:
Psalm 31 -
In you O God, I will be safe. Be my Rock
Be my strong wall surrounding me
Lead and Guide Me
Keep me out of traps that are before me
I will trust in you
I know you love me even when I am
sick, tired, worried, and anxious
You are protecting me from Satan
I'm tired O God, I am becoming weak and weary
Friends, Neighbors, Enemies, even family are sometimes against me
But you are my God
Let your face smile on me
Protect me from Shame, keep me from pride, show me your goodness
Place me in you shelter
When I have felt captive you have shown me your love
When I feel cut off from you, lonely needing mercy
I can be strong because I know you preserve the faithful
and I can have hope in you O Lord.
Thanks...David

No comments:

Post a Comment