Monday, April 1, 2013

30 Years ago

Happy April Fools Day, Also Happy 30th Wedding Anniversary to me and Joey. Everyone laughs when we say we were married on April Fools Day, most think we are pranking them.  But 30 years ago on  Good Friday, April 1, 1983 Joey and I said  "I do". Little did I know at the time what those two simple words would mean.  I do promise to love you through good times ( new home, having children, having grandchildren, vacations, working together, watching TV together, just spending time the two of us) the bad times ( struggling with money issues, raising children that turn into teens, working together "we are together a lot", sicknesses, and deaths".  For these two words to be so small they sure have big meanings. I will say that saying "I do" with the right partner who wants the same out of life that you want helps.  Having the right partner who is going in the same spiritual direction you are helps. Have the right partner who helps you in your weaknesses and builds up your strengths helps. Having the right partner who laughs right along with you even when life isn't all that funny helps. As I listened to Joey pray at my moms house this Easter, I thought wow what a long way we have come, and what a great man God gave me to live it with. Thirty years ago he would have never stood in front of a group of people and prayed, now he struggles at understanding how hard it is for people to pray publicly.  Thirty years ago, he didn't know how to vacuum, mop, wash clothes ,buy groceries (still not good at this) eat  Japanese food, wear flip flops (just tried on a pair a few years ago), or wear purple and not feel like a real man. Now he does it all, except for cooking he did learn how to make coffee at Christmas because our kids got us a Keurig so how hard can it be. Thirty years ago all I ever made was chicken casserole, spaghetti, slaw and macaroni, so I have learned a few things over the years. I know how to mow, I have drove a dump truck  a few feet for him, I have moved a mini backhoe, I have gone hunting, I have learned to shoot a pistol, I have eaten bear, moose, and elk and I don't particularly care for meat. Thirty years with someone can be a real adventure and challenge but like I said with the right partner it can be quite fun.....

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to the coolest set of grandparents I know!!

    ReplyDelete