Friday, April 20, 2012

searching for laughter

I haven't had alot to say (write) lately, mainly when I talk alot I cough. I don't feel very deep in thinking lately either.  But I need laughter right now....Last night I went to sit with Myra, my friend with cancer.  She had a very bad morning trying to get her pain level down.  By the time I arrived for the evening shift she was managing better.  She looked so frail, I thought in my mind, she makes my little 100 lb daughter look fat. We talked alittle, her son was in and sang a few songs for her, she decided she would like to try and eat something.  We tried some soup, not much, but it just wouldn't go down. She asked me to rub her back, the pain has been so bad there, she thinks the tumors are growing and causing her pain when she breathes. She would tell Jake and me constantly that she loved us, then she would ask "do I sound like a drunk" we would laugh, and the then a few minutes later, she would tell us again she loved us and then ask "do I sound like a stupid drunk". You know how sentimental drunks can be.
You have to know Myra to know that she has never been drunk in her life so this to us was rather funny. As I sat there in the dark room in quiet letting her rest, I started to get very melancholy and I had to stop myself. She needs us to be up and positive for her, call it like it is but positive.  Jake told her Mom your body is failing but that mind is still sharp and it is so true. She remembers alot of things and pays attention to what is going on around her but the body isn't working like to should. Hugging her felt like hugging a small teen, she feels like she could just break into. I am just praying now for her pain to stop and her breathing to not be hard on her.  I can't stand to  feel like I can't breathe or swallow.  It can be a very scary feeling.   So pray that God protects her from this anxiety and that she is peaceful in rest.
I know this situation is nothing to laugh about, that why when she says funny things I have to laugh , that is why I search for laughter right now.

1 comment:

  1. I will be really praying for Myra. And for her family and for her dear friends... like you. I know how this hurts when it is someone that is your own age and you have known forever. I know your heart is breaking for her and her family.

    Love you,

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete