Wednesday, March 4, 2015

New Clothes

Have you ever read a book and a line in it just stands out. I was reading a book this week and the main character used this quote:
"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes"
Now the author did not have it correct because her book was based in 1780 and the manwho made this quote was not even born til 1817. But any case I looked up the quote and the meaning of it.
you should be careful about becoming involved in anything that calls for an outward change (new clothes) and not for an inner change of character (new wearer of clothes).  by Henry David Thoreau. For some reason it caught my eye. I remember thinking as a lady in one of my small groups class made a comment the other day about a girl, who is pregnant and lives with her boyfriend, that she was looking for a church like the one she went to as a child where everyone dressed up on Sunday, all the churches she had been to lately were just to casually dressed.  The lady in my class who allows this couple to live with her, didn't get that the purposeful sin going on in her own home was wrong because this was to be her grandchild, but totally got why the girl didn't go to church. Of course I called "bullcrap" and told her this was just a excuse not to go to church, but made me think about what it is that I believe. And realized that there is a whole world out there that is very confused of the scriptures. That we make God who we think he should be, we make him to fit our lives instead of us fitting in to what he has planned. So I tell myself be careful of worrying about the outward change and focus more on the inward.

1 comment:

  1. Great point. We do tend to look on the outside and God just looks on the inside.

    ReplyDelete