Monday, February 10, 2014

No More Food

I thought that my food restrictions for a little while are bad, Audrey's tops the cake. Lets just say that she is getting back to Bible times, she will be eating like Adam and Eve. Fruit, vegetables and some meat with no trimmings.  Her test came back today, she is highly allergic to dairy , so no more ice cream, Oreos, Don Juan cheese dip, cheese balls, mac and cheese (I need to stop with the cheese), or coffee creamer. She  is also highly allergic to malt, so no more vinegars, other that rice, or alcoholic drinks, not that she drinks that many, no more Worchester sauce, ole my I could drink the stuff. She is allergic to bakers yeast, so no more bread unless she can find something the Jewish families eat that is dairy free. She will be looking into their breads.  No more yeast rolls, no more deep dish pizza, no more beer battered onion rings, I think I would just cry. She is also allergic to turmeric, so no more mustard, that is a staple that is used regularly at our house. Ginger, so no more Kyotos.   She is allergic to basil, I have never heard of anyone allergic to basil, I love basil, I eat it all year long. She is allergic to grapefruit I wouldn't miss that. She is allergic to crab, she just started eating it in the last two month and she noticed this weekend at a wedding where they served stuffed mushrooms that her throat got itchy and she had to take Benadryl. She was high on other seafood's and some fish, I told her the best bet is to leave it all alone. She is allergic to squash but not zucchini , red pepper but not green, go figure. She is allergic to teff, never heard of it till today, grown in foreign countries, sometimes used in gluten free products, so now she even has to check that out. So when you think its bad that you can't eat chocolate for a few week, or pintos, or peanut butter. Be thankful that is all you can't eat. That is  what I am telling myself.
As a parent of this grown woman I do feel somewhat guilty that I let her eat chip sandwiches, ice cream and Oreos all of her years living with me.  I never in my wildest dreams thought that she was that allergic to all that she is allergic to. I guess we all think that when you are allergic to things you break out and your throat closes. Not always I have learned, for years we thought she was fighting kidney stones, she has had them, but the severe pain she had  we are realizing was food related pain.  That her chronic mono probably is a result of food allergies.  Joey and I are very hopeful that Audrey will one day soon feel the best she has ever felt and say I never knew that this is what it would feel like to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment