Friday, February 21, 2014

Harold

I was going to post on what you do on snow days but today I will tell you of a man who throughout my life has been around.  Harold passed away Wednesday in a fire at his home. I have known him since I was about 8 years old, I lived at his house in the summers and went to his mother-in-laws house every Sunday for lunch growing up.  His house was a sanctuary for me, I could play loud, dance in basement to Michael Jackson and the Osmond's, watch General Hospital and Brian's song every summer, I even had my own mayo there because they ate that nasty Miracle Whip in a jar. Harold never said alot, never really raised his voice at us, he would watch TV while we ran around and Beanie cooked dinner. He hunted, fished, bowled, and worked so he really wasn't around alot but for some reason I loved him.  I told Beanie years ago that I went looking for a man like Harold and I found one, another Nifong, he is like Harold in alot of ways but Beanie told me years ago you better train him better than I have Harold or your in trouble, so I have taught Joey how to make coffee, he can vacuum and mop, and if he has to he can wash his own clothes. Many of things Harold learned much later in life and some he chooses not to learn and hired a cleaning lady. We  have all laughed because Joey can even talk like Harold, he has a raspy kind of voice and Joey sometimes mocked him and would call Rhonda and talk to her like Harold. Harold was from the old school of life, he worked and played and mowed the yard and Beanie did the rest. I guess now looking back what I loved the most was he seemed to be a easy man, mainly because he didn't yell or seem to get to upset over anything. That is what I was looking for in a man so he was the role model I had set for myself.
Harold loved his family, but was not one to show it verbally. Myra always needed his approval, Rhonda is alot like Beanie, she had her mom so she never really needed it. I always thought he loved me, he sold me a very nice antique piece that is in my kitchen, Myra wanted it and I didn't know that till after he had sold it to me. I told her you are welcome to it, but she didn't have any room in her house. Harold had a soft spot for Audrey too, they hugged every Sunday, he went out of his way to check on her and see her. Life changes so quickly and this year I have learned alot through all that has gone on. I believe we need to make the most of everyday, I know the humdrum of life can zap the energy out of you, go to work, cook , clean, go to bed and do it all over the next day. But through out the day look for that little ray of sunshine that can put the light back in life for you. To be honest my little light right now is Harper, when she sings Amazing Grace with me at nap time, or she says in the middle of a rough day, I want to say the blessing at lunch, or she climbs gently up to Buster the cat and talks to him in a whisper, I realize how special life really is and I need to live in the moment and not worry about tomorrow because tomorrow might never come.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I am so sorry about Harold. I knew you were close to him and I know this hurts you too. Give Harper extra hugs!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete