Wednesday, March 13, 2013

OK Mam-maw

Mam-maw is the name I picked myself for Harper to call me.  Pap-paw is the name for Joey.
I love to hear Harper say OK Mam-maw, Thank you Mam-maw, Pap-paws bucket (for corn). Josh has taught her to say how much do you love Pap-paw, she says a whole bunch with her arms spread way out, how much do you love mam-maw, she pinched her fingers together and says a little bit and laughs.   I had a great Mam-maw and Pap-paw Bennett. I remember Saturday nights eating  white cake with chocolate icing, drinking sweet milky coffee  and watching the Carol Burnett show and Hee Haw. I remember spending the night and having breakfast on the back porch. Breakfast consisted of toasted pound cake and strawberries, and the daily bread we fought over who got to read the devotions that day me or Leigh Anne. I remember my pap-paw hardly ever saying a word but had the most beautiful azaleas and dogwoods in his yard.  As I said he didn't say much, but you knew when he was ready to leave where ever he was at, he would jiggle the change in his pants pocket and you knew hit the road was what he meant.
My Pap-paw and Mam-maw never spent the night away from each other, they went everywhere together, they were married over 50 years. I think of the love I felt from them, even when life at home was tough. This is one of the reasons I chose to call myself Mam-maw and Joey, Pap-paw so that we can build great memories with Harper and her one day siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment