Thursday, July 24, 2014

VBS

This week has been our Vacation Bible School(VBS) at church. Our leader decided to do the evening time slot instead of morning. I liked it because for the last couple of years I have not been able to help because of work.  Also they thought this could bring in a lot of kids whose parents work and they stay at daycare and are unable to attend.  We have had a great turn out of kids, alot of kids who don't come regularly to our church. Joey even volunteered to do the pre-school play time, he is wore out by the time its over, he keeps saying this is totally out of my comfort zone.  I will say that I have been disappointed in our adults in the church. With a average of 300 regular attenders in our church you would think that we could get more than 30 workers, and 1/2 of those are teens. I mentioned to one of the leaders last night that next year we might need to rethink putting jr highers with groups because they still are kids themselves and the adults in the group have to take care of them also. She said we had to use them because not enough adults volunteered.  Pastor mentioned to me the other day how he is feeling God leading him in a direction he has never gone before, motivation of adults. Because of our last year the leaders in the church have grown tired and weary. They have been under such attacks and stress that is starting to show in the church body as a whole. The 40 and younger generation is just not motivated to do alot of service work within the church. I know that when I was young and had small kids, I didn't work outside the home so I was ready to do things at church so I could have adult contact, this generation about everyone in the home works and after work they are ready to go home and not do much else, I get that.  But somewhere there needs to be a happy middle ground.  Just trying to figure out how the church needs to work in todays society is hard.  I know that working at church and church activities are not what get you into heaven, or help you be at a higher standing in Gods eyes, so I guess we need to figure out the purpose of todays church. What is the goals of the church of today, what is the needs of the community that we can make sure that they know who Jesus is and be relevant today.

No comments:

Post a Comment